The H2Know case study invites students to investigate water quality in Lake Erie. Students will gather information about the problem, consider potential contributors and environmental factors, review data and research happening in the field, and engage in discussions and activities related to effective solutions that will improve the water quality of Lake Erie.
H2Know digital case study
Water quality is impacted by many factors: waste water, run-off from the land, both agricultural and residential, organisms in the water, and more. For more information on the development of harmful algal blooms complete the Water Quality e-learning course.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- ESS3C Human impacts on Earth systems
- LS1D Information processing
- LS2A Interdependent relationships in ecosystems
- LS2C Ecosystem dynamics, functioning and resilience
- ETS2A Interdependence of science, engineering and technology