Pigs are one of the largest consumers of soybeans! In this unit, students explore the habitat, growth, and feed of pigs.
Growth and development of pigs
# Where do pigs live?
Students read Welcome to Our Farm and draw their answers.
# How fast do pigs grow?
Students create a graph with data about the growth of pigs.
Pigs are domesticated animals used for meat. Pork is the common term given to meat from pigs. The cuts of meat include: pork loin, pork chop, ribs, ham, bacon, sausage, and fatback. There are approximately 60 million pigs on farms in the US.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1B Growth and development of organisms
- LS2B Cycles of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems