Growth and development of pigs
What do you know about pigs?
Pigs are one of the largest consumers of soybeans! In this unit, students explore the habitat, growth, and feed of pigs. See teacher background →
# Where do pigs live?
Students read Welcome to Our Farm and draw their answers.
# How fast do pigs grow?
Students create a graph with data about the growth of pigs.
# What is in pig feed?
Students calculate a mix for pig feed (that they can eat!).
Pigs are domesticated animals used for meat. Pork is the common term given to meat from pigs. The cuts of meat include: pork loin, pork chop, ribs, ham, bacon, sausage, and fatback. There are approximately 60 million pigs on farms in the US.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1B Growth and development of organisms
- LS2B Cycles of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems