# What are the characteristics of chickens?
Students learn about the specific characteristics of chickens.
# What breed is this chick?
Students use a dichotomous key to identify the breed of chicks.
Chickens are the most common domesticated animal with a population of over 23 billion, according to some estimates! There are many different breeds that lay eggs that vary in color from white to blue to green to brown. They supply food by laying eggs and providing meat.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1B Growth and development of organisms
- LS1D Information processing