World hunger and soy
How is international agriculture addressing world hunger issues?
Students explore international organizations working to address hunger challenges and the growing demand for protein in these three lessons. See teacher background →
Students view a career video about International Agriculture Development, one of many careers in global agriculture.
Students take an e-learning course exploring global hunger and sources of protein in developing nations.
“Soy Cows” and “VitaGoats” are food processing systems used in developing nations to combat malnutrition and hunger. International organizations address challenges such as global conflicts, transportation and infrastructure, food and culture choices, and the growing need for protein. Soybeans are a complete source of protein containing all 9 amino acids and can be an inexpensive solution for developing nations trying to feed a growing population.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Cause and effect
- Systems and system models
- Stability and change
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- ETS2A Interdependence of science, engineering and technology
- PS2B Types of interactions
- LS2D Social interactions and group behavior
- LS1D Information processing
- ESS3C Human impacts on Earth systems