International trade in agriculture
Why do we engage in trade with other countries? What are the ways in which this trading occurs?
Trade in agricultural products is big business. In Ohio nearly 50% of soybeans are exported. In this unt, students learn about the customers for Ohio’s ag products and how these goods are traded. See teacher background →
Students complete the Global Agricultural Trade elearning course.
Students watch the International Trade career video.
The United States exports over $135 billion dollars each year in agricultural products. According to the USDA, the United States is the world’s second-largest pork producer, a major egg producer, and the largest producer and second-largest exporter of poultry meat.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1D Information processing
- LS2D Social interactions and group behavior
- ETS2 Links among Engineering, technology, science and society
- ETS2B Influence of engineering, technology and science on society and the natural world