Students read an article to gain background information on the transportation of commodities from an industry expert and Ohio farmer.
Students watch a career video exploring Ohio’s rail system and future needs for jobs in logistics and transportation. An additional news article presents a challenge about how U.S. flooding affects international trade.
More than 50% of Ohio’s soybeans are bound for international markets such as China and Mexico. Moving soybeans along the Mississippi to export terminals in New Orleans has many challenges including out-dated canals, barge traffic and flooding. Moving soybeans by rail requires more than train operators and is a growing area for careers related to logistics, engineering, and environmental experts.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- ESS3A Natural resources
- ESS3C Human impacts on Earth systems
- ETS1B Developing possible solutions
- ETS1C Optimizing the design solution
- ETS2B Influence of engineering, technology and science on society and the natural world