# Testing for macromolecules
Students determine the contents of soybeans.
# Reading labels
Students learn what information is found on a feed label and use that information to compare different dog foods. To extend the activity, ask students to read this article.
Macronutrients play a critical role in animal nutrition. Proteins help to build tissue and enzymes, carbohydrates provide fuel for the body, and lipids protect tissue and aid in neural development. Animal nutrition experts create feed for animals by blending together different macronutrients and minerals. Grains are a primary source for these macronutrients and soybeans are an important source of protein.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Scale, proportion, and quantity
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1B Growth and development of organisms
- LS1C Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms