Soybeans: from ballast to biotech
# Knowledge Check
What do you know about Biotechnology? Have students use the Knowledge Check to show what they know about this topic.
Answers: 1: B, 2: E, 3: B, 4: D, 5: D, 6: C, 7: E.
# DNA and Protein Synthesis
Simulate the steps of protein synthesis using note card models to create “mini-proteins.”
# Building Proteins Using Blocks
Use the amino acid sequence created in Lesson 2, to build a small protein using Duplo™ or Lego® blocks, simulating secondary protein structure.
# Recombinant DNA and Pop Beads
Demonstrate how restriction enzymes work to isolate a desirable gene from an organism using pop-beads.
The science of biotechnology has the potential to solve many food security issues, but there are different points of view about the application of this technology.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Developing and using models
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Structure and function
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- LS1A Structure and Function
- LS3A Inheritance of traits
- LS3B Variations of traits
- LS4D Biodiversity and humans
- ETS2 Links among Engineering, technology, science and society
- ETS2A Interdependence of science, engineering and technology
- ETS2B Influence of engineering, technology and science on society and the natural world