Are you sterile? Using aseptic technique for food safety
# Introduction to IVC terminology
Use proper vocabulary to prepare and test IVC techniques.
# Compare Leaf Sterilization to a Control
Collect a leaf from a plant. Compare the microbial growth from an untreated leaf to the microbial growth from a leaf treated with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
# Comparison of IVC Treatments
Prepare various media treatments to prevent contamination of IVC and properly record the preparation information in a Medium Preparation log. Test various media treatments to compare their effectiveness at preventing contamination. Present findings in lab notebooks using the IVC Lab Rubric.
In vitro collecting allows for the potential to conserve crops and wild or endangered species. The level of contamination must be controlled, which permits successful growth of any in vitro collected germplasm. Biotechnology has a wide variety of career opportunities ranging from sales and marketing, to research and development, manufacturing and quality control and assurance. The total number of biotechnology companies is increasing, and employment in the biotechnology field continues to grow as well.
Next gen science standards
Science and engineering practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Cause and effect
Disciplinary core ideas/content
- ESS3A Natural resources
- ESS3C Human impacts on Earth systems
- LS1B Growth and development of organisms
- LS2A Interdependent relationships in ecosystems
- LS4C Adaptation
- LS4D Biodiversity and humans
- ETS1B Developing possible solutions